Call of Duty: Modern Welfare 2 is one of the best shooting games around. However, many people have encountered Dev Error 401 while playing the game on their PC. It is a common error, which disrupts the gaming experience of users.
The best option to fix this error is to update the graphics card driver because the outdated drivers may lead to various errors such as crashing, connection problems, and developer errors.
Don’t worry, if you are also the victim of this error. We have also given some of the best ways to fix this error to get an uninterrupted gaming experience. So just stay with us in this article.
What is Dev Error 401 in MW2?
In MW2, encountering Dev Error 401 typically points to authentication or authorization issues when accessing online features. It’s worth noting that this error might be linked to Dev Error 292 and 11642, which stem from system problems when trying to establish a private match. Sometimes, these errors also emerge when attempting to load a map.
What are the causes of dev error 401?
Dev Error 401 can be really irritating and before finding the best solution, we should find its root cause. So, here are the best causes of Dev Error 401.
- Authentication and authorization problems to attempt online features are the main cause of this error.
- The server or network issue can also be the real cause of this error.
- Running an outdated version of the game will add many glitches in the performance of the game.
- Running game files that are corrupted can also be a culprit to the game.
- There could be the involvement of third-party apps that can cause this error.
How do I get rid of developer error 401?
Developer Error Code 401 can be really threatening and implementing different techniques can be an ideal choice. So we came up here to provide you with the best solutions.
1. Verify And Repair Game Files
Corrupted and missing files could be the real reason for this error. Verifying those files and repairing them can be the best solution. Here are the steps you should follow to get rid of it.
- First, open Stream and head to the Library section.
- Now, right-click on the game from the list of all installed games.
- Then click on Properties and then move to the local files option.
- Now just click on Verify Integrity of Game Files and wait till the process gets completed.
- Once it is done, restart your PC and launch the game again.
2. Update your GPU Driver
Updating the Graphic Driver can be the best solution to fix any game error. It could be really helpful to enhance gaming performance. Outdated drivers can cause various problems in the game, so let us know how to update GPU drivers.
- First, install any driver update such as Outbyte Driver Updater.
- Once it is perfectly installed, just open the app and start the scanning process.
- Now click on the Update All Drivers option to fix the error and enjoy an uninterrupted gaming experience.
3. Modify Custom Frame Rate Limit
Dev Error Code 401 can also be solved by switching Custom Frame Rate Limit Settings from Custom to Unlimited. Let us know how to do it.
- First of all, launch the game on your system and open Game Settings.
- Now locate the Graphics Section and tap on it.
- Then just navigate to the Display tab.
- Now scroll down below and locate the ‘Custom Frame Rate Limit’ section and change it from Custom to Unlimited.
4. Install the Latest Version of the Game
It is essential to stay updated with the latest gaming version to prevent all error types. Here’s how you can install the latest version of the game.
- First of all, open Steam on your device and tap on the Library section.
- Now click on the MW2 game from the list of installed games.
- The platform will automatically start looking for the latest updates.
- If there is any update, just tap on the update button and wait till it gets completely done.
- Now close Steam on your device and restart your PC.
- Once the PC starts, launch the game and check if the error persists or not.
5. Avoid using a VPN
This is one of the most important things that a user needs to keep in mind. They shouldn’t use VPN services while playing the game because a VPN redirects you to a new region, which is completely against the policies of the game. It will not improve the latency and performance of the game, it starts showing glitches and hinders your gaming experience.
The higher ping delay will have a negative impact on the game and will find issues in connecting to the server. So, try to avoid VPN services completely.
6. Utilize On-Demand Texture Streaming
Adjusting On-demand texture streaming can be very helpful in reducing texture cache size and decreasing cache size can really resolve Dev Error 401 in Modern Warfare 2. Here’s how you can fix it.
- Launch the game and tap on the gear icon located in the upper left corner.
- Now just go to Settings and head to the Graphics Section.
- Then enable the on-demand texture streaming option in the details and textures panel.
- Now you have to reduce texture cache size to medium or small.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the dev error in MW2?
Dev Error is a technical issue that arises during gameplay due to software conflicts, network errors, or any glitch within the game.
Q2. What does Dev error 11642 mean?
This error typically indicates the problem, which relates to attempting to create a private match in MW2. It reflects issues within system functionality when setting matches.
Q3. What is Dev Error 426?
Dev Error 426 mainly describes the connectivity issues between the server and the error. This error mainly arises because of connection problems and other server-related problems.